Selly Oak Civic Quarter


At the centre of Selly Oak in Bristol Road is a cluster of five Grade 2 listed Victorian buildings. They are badly neglected but CP4SO believes that they could be restored to become the civic quarter of Selly Oak. Surrounding them are major new developments of student housing, the Selly Oak Shopping Park, and the University of Birmingham’s planned Life Sciences Park. CP4SO is campaigning for some of that energy and investment to be harnessed to upgrade and, where possible, find new public uses for the listed buildings.

Developers, retailers, the university, city council, residents and the student population should all benefit from sensitive restoration of the buildings and the areas between them. Proximity to the canal running from Birmingham to Worcester offers additional opportunities to make this an attractive recreational area. This could become the heart of a renewed Selly Oak.

In a full page article on 11 July 2019, the Birmingham Post nicknamed our campaign ‘Save the Selly Oak Five’. The article is expanded on in Birmingham Live. The five buildings are:


Former Selly Oak Library
Opened in 1905 and described as a Carnegie Library CP4SO have obtained National Lottery Funding to explore new uses for this landmark building. Click here to read more. You can also view a 3D fly-through of the Library here.












Selly Oak Institute
Opened by George Cadbury in 1894 Selly Oak Centre (originally The Selly Oak Institute) was used as an adult education centre until it was sold in 2012. It is currently in private ownership. Click here to read more.











Pumping Station



The Selly Oak Pumping Station located just behind the Library and is now used by Western Power Distribution as part of the electricity network. Still in good repair its gothic style make it stand out among the Victorian terraces of Selly Oak.




659 Bristol Rd













659 Bristol Rd is one of two houses flanking the entrance to Bournbrook Recreation Ground it is identified as the former house for the manager of the Pumping Station.










641 Bristol Rd
641 Bristol Rd is the twin of 659 and was originally built to house staff at the Pumping Station but later became the lodge for the park keeper at Bournbrook Rec.